The Stop TB Partnership is producing a 16-page educational comic book that will provide key information about tuberculosis. The comic book will feature Mr Figo as the main character and will target an audience of children and young adults. The objective is to reach these audiences through a reputable and appealing voice.
The educational comic book will be available in the six official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish) plus Portuguese for distribution around the world. Plans are that famous writers or other personalities will write the adaptations in these languages. The educational comic book will be distributed in collaboration with other United Nations organizations and partners.
The Competition — Rules
The Stop TB Partnership — with the support of the Partners listed below — is conducting an international competition to design images for the educational comic book on tuberculosis featuring Luis Figo.
The competition is open to anyone over the age of 18.
- Participants are required to develop the design of a comic book on the basis of the script provided by the Stop TB Partnership
- The only captions admitted are those indicated in the script provided by the Stop TB Partnership
- Entries must be originals and may be either in color or black and white. Suggested size of cartoon entries is A4 (210mm x 297mm) or A3 (297mm x 420mm)
- The drawings may also be digitally produced and submitted on a CD-ROM. Cartoon size has to be A4 or A3 format with a resolution of 300 dpi in TIFF-format.
- Entrants must submit a minimum of 5 of the complete 16 panels on or before 10 April 2008 to be eligible for the competition. The winner will be selected on the basis of this initial entry. The deadline for submission of the full comic book is 10 May 2008.
- There are no charges for participating in the competition
- A completed official entry form available on this website and a curriculum vitae must accompany the submission.
- All entries must be clearly labeled with the artist’s name, address, telephone number and email address written on the reverse of each page of the work
- Entries submitted in any material or format different from those specified above will not be eligible for consideration
- Originals will not be returned
- Please send entries to:
Stop TB Partnership Secretariat — World Health Organization
Att.ne Vittorio Cammarota — WHO/STB/TBP
20, Avenue Appia
CH-1211 Geneva 27 — Switzerland
Comics experts from all over the world will select the winning entry. Members of the jury belong to research centres on comics, cartoon museums, and international organizations. The judges' decision is final.
The winning artist will be informed and awarded a prize consisting of the following:
- US$ 5 000 cash prize
- The publication of the educational comic book by the Stop TB Partnership for worldwide distribution
- Exhibition of the winning entry at the following Festivals:
- International Festival of Amadora, 24 October - 9 November 2008
- Festival International de la Bande Dessinée 2009 (Angoulême)
The amount of USD 5 000 will be paid to the winner upon receipt of the full comic book - 16 panels - in accordance with the script provided by the Stop TB Partnership.. Any submitted work may be used for exhibitions to be organized by the Stop TB Partnership to raise awareness about tuberculosis.
- AWARD CEREMONY
The winner of the competition will be formally announced at the International Festival of Cartoon Stories “KomMissia” to be held in Moscow, Russian Federation, in April 2008.
All entrants will be informed of the results of the competition by e-mail.
- PROPERTY RIGHTS
By entering the competition, participants vest the copyright of their works to the World Health Organization and empower the Organization to make non commercial use of their entries to raise awareness of tuberculosis.