Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Who goes to Erasmus Huis Jakarta next week?




Yesterday, Erasmus Huis Jakarta started spreading this invitation (copied below). My name was actually misspelled in the original version, but I've fixed it here and at the copies I sent to several mailing lists.
It's a pity that I can't be there to help preparing the exhibition and to attend the opening; not even witnessing the display and such. I haven't even met Cahya and Beng, other artists, in person :) I only hope that my family (Tiyas, you hear? heh heh) and friends send me photographs and stories about the happenings.
As for my colleagues, I like their works very much. Peter van Dongen, I won't talk about in length, because I have written about him a lot of times here in my Multiply. Motul, is really good with his Kapten Bandung. His Hergé style, clean lines and flat colors, give his Kapten Bandung album a Tintin look. As I've mentioned before, I haven't met Cahya and Beng in person, nor seen their comics, except a few panels that Motul sent me several weeks ago. So I can't make comments on their work, except that their skills are above the average of Indonesian comic artists.

Why does it seem like a big deal for me? Well, it's nice to have your work appreciated and recognized by an institution such as the Erasmus Huis. Especially when you don't see your exhibited work as "work", and that your spare time doing the work actually worths the 'trouble'. And because I'm actually not a real cartoonist (I've never had any published book.. yet).

Anyway, I put this announcement here as a milestone of my 'other' profession. Perhaps I'll put more attention to that side of me once I'm done with my dissertation :)



=============================================
An Exhibition of Peter van Dongen, stripcartoonist
Opening Exhibition - Erasmus Huis - Jakarta
Tuesday, 6 September 2005 - 19.30


Exhibition - 7 September - 30 September 2005
Venue:
Erasmus Huis
Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said kav. S-3
Kuningan - Jakarta Selatan 12950
Tel. 021 - 524 1069

Free Admission


+++

Peter van Dongen and a new generation of Indonesian cartoonists.

Inspired by the celebration in Indonesia of 60 years of Independence, the Erasmus will present the work of the Dutch strip cartoonist Peter van Dongen (Amsterdam, 1966) together with drawings by representatives of a new generation of Indonesian cartoonists that is influenced by the European style of comic books: Motul, Tita, Cahya and Beng.

In 1990 Van Dongen's debut Muizentheater (Casterman) was published. In 1991 Muizentheater/Theatre of Mice earned Van Dongen de 'Stripschappenning' (award from the Dutch society of cartoonists) for the Best Comic Book of the year.
In 1998 Van Dongen published a new book: Rampokan: Java (Oog&Blik).
This tale about the independence struggle in the former Dutch colony of Indonesia (the land of Van Dongen's ancestors) was even better received than his debut. Again, it earned Van Dongen de 'Stripschappening' for the Best Comic Book of the year 1999 and also the 'Prix du Lion' 1999 in Bruxelles. Rampokan: Java was co-published by Joost Swarte and earned both author and publisher the 1998 Dutch Award for Best Book Design.
The second and last volume of Rampokan: Rampokan: Celebes was published in 2004.

+++

Peter van Dongen dan generasi baru kartunis Indonesia.

Diilhalmi oleh perayaan di Indonesia sehubungan dengan 60 tahun Kemerdekaan, Erasmus Huis akan menggelar karya kartunis Belanda Peter van Dongen (Amsterdam, 1966) bersama karya lain dari generasi baru kartunis Indonesia yang banyak dipengaruhi oleh gaya buku komik Eropa: Motul, Tita, Cahya dan Beng.

Tahun 1990 Van Dongen melakukan debut dengan diterbitkannya Theatre of Mice (Casterman). Pada tahun 1991, karya Van Dongen ini memperoleh penghargaan Buku Komik Terbaik dari 'Stripschappenning', sebuah penghargaan dari komunitas kartunis Belanda.
Pada tahun 1998, Van Dongen mengeluarkan buku baru berjudul Rampokan: Java (Oog&Blik). Dongeng tentang perjuangan kemerdekaan di Indonesia, yang merupakan tanah leluhur Van Dongen ini mendapatkan sambutan yang lebih baik dari pada debutnya. Kembali Van Dongen memperoleh penghargaan Stripschappening untuk karyanya ini sebagai Buku Komik Terbaik tahun 1999 serta penghargaan 'Prix du Lion' 1999 di Brussel. Rampokan: Java turut diterbitkan oleh Joost Swarte. Pada tahun 1998, baik penulis maupun penerbit memperoleh penghargaan untuk Disain Buku Terbaik. Edisi kedua dan terakhir Rampokan berjudul Rampokan: Celebes diterbitkan pada tahun 2004.
=============================================



[Illustration: by Peter van Dongen, from "Waarom Die Vlag Toch?!": De geschiedenis van Indische Nederlanders, published by Stichting Het Indisch Huis, 2004, to be distributed to school students. This illustration accompanies the original invitation from Erasmus Huis Jakarta]

15 comments:

  1. why??? It IS a big deal. You must be kidding. Lots of people can write (as evidenced by the explosion of blogs in the internet) but not many people can draw. I love cartoons and for the first time in my life, I meet someone who actually draws cartoons and in style that I really like. I'm sure there are many like me around. And I'm sure there are many like me who wish that you publish a book. Of course, it's also an enormous bonus that this particular cartoonist is so humble and so nice and so friendly (unlike those people who brag about nothing). Oooh, am so excited for you! Wish I were in Jakarta to say, "Hey, I know her" :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aawww.. You really know how to warm up my heart. This really gives me more confidence, being among those real cartoonists :D
    Thanks a bunch! >:D<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waah! mbak keren parah!! Selamat yaa! Siapa itu cahya dan beng?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makasih Ber :D Cahya, kata Motul anak DKV ITB 95, Beng, nggatau, belom kenal :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaah... ikut bangga deh! :D
    Hayo EsDuren... majuuut terus, pantang mundur! :)
    (termasuk kilik-kilik "children's book illustration movement", niiih.. :D hehehehehee).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mba....maybe this will be your first shot to be cartoonist!!! please be...you've got what u need 2 be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah bravo mba tita!!!...
    senengnya bisa lihat langsung diary mba tita itu kemaren...

    tia

    ReplyDelete
  8. tita...karya kamu nanti juga ada ya di pameran itu? wah aku bisa liat aslinya dong ya. ga mau sampe terlewat pembukaan pameran nya van dongen ah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tita,
    selamat...selamat...yah!
    aku penggemar Herge, dimana bisa dapatkan Kapten Bandung? ini komik spt Tintin?

    Sani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tita, wahhhh bisa liat kartun elo yang "live" neh. Gw usahain deh maen ke EH. Thank buat kasi kerjan buat gw jalan-jalan yaw:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. iya aku ikutan :D iya dateng bawa temen2, kayaknya bakal rame dengan para penggemar karya peter.. sekalian bisa beli "rampokan" versi indonesia (ada korting 20% saat pembukaan itu) dan minta tanda tangannya peter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kapten Bandung yg pertama, sudah habis terjual, dan sampe skg belum dicetak ulang. Kapten Bandung kedua kabarnya sudah hampir selesai dan siap terbit. Coba tanya ke pembuatnya, si Motul :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heheheh iya Ry, jalan2 dan bikin laporan ya! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. kereeen, gua udah liat sebagian hasil karyamu dipajang di erasmus huis di multiply nya si nathlink. congratulations ya! -jo

    ReplyDelete