Monday, October 9, 2006

Reminiscing the 24 Hours Marathon




10:30
So, last Saturday, Oct. 7th, was the 24 Hour Comics Day of 2006. In the morning I quickly did a grocery shopping, before I left to Lambiek at about 10:30. Getting there, I saw that all the provided tables were almost full already, so there was not much choice for me. I picked one at the far end of the whole group, which, honestly, was a bit of a relief because I hardly knew anyone in person. Next to me (there was only one other table at my side) sat Matt Baay, who is known for his bunbuns series. I settled myself at the table and wandered around the shop before the event began.

11:00
Approaching 11:00 there was a small opening speech from Klaas and Bas, caretakers of Lambiek, then the event started. We rightaway scribbled, bending our torsos towards the surface of our tables. I didn’t get the chance to notice the others for I was concentrating on finishing my pages (I was determined to finish several pages ahead of time, because I knew I would take a long break within this 24 hours). After some minutes of industrious silence, the air started to be filled with ‘conversations’ again (Anyone has a Typex? Anyone has a glue? Oh $#!*& eraser, the ink isn’t dry yet! Gimme back my Typex!).

13:00
I did the first pages for about half-an-hour each, so by lunchtime I’ve already finished 6 pages (I noted down the finishing time at each page, next to the page number). Lunch was two pieces of boterhamen which I ate while drawing, served by a nice girl who brought drinks and food around the room the whole day. Peter Giljam and Luc and Luc’s friend came in the afternoon. Maaike Hartjes dropped by as well, and we had a chat partly about her experience in the ASEF program in Singapore (interesting!).

15:00
Later, around 15:00, Syb and the kids came as well (too bad he just missed Peter). Dhanu was, as usual, browsing for stuff he likes (this time, a complete Simpsons family figurines), while Lindri didn’t want to go anywhere but staying with me. I quickly finished another page then carried Lindri, bringing her around the room, so I could also see how the others were doing.

In the office of Lambiek, three people were busy scanning and uploading updates (freshly-finished pages) to the Internet. I was assisted by Nick, who has been working for Lambiek for years, to whom I opened my Multiply access so he could add the drawings in my album. Syb and the kids left at about 16:00, Peter dropped by again later (so he just missed Syb), and I tried to finish the 11th page at around 17:00. I gave those pages to Nick to be scanned and started packing up to go home. I had to prepare dinner and (later) put the kids to bed with the hope that I could come again after they’re asleep. When I left, people at Lambiek were busy crating in warm dinner as well (from Food Fantasies), which smelled reeeaaally good (I’m sorry I missed it).

17:00
I took my bike and headed home, dropping by Dirk to buy Syb’s coffee (standing in line with Saturday shoppers is, believe me, hell on earth). I’ve told Syb to make rice so that’s ready, I only had to fry the Catalanseworst (spicy sausage) and the mix Mexican veggies (beans, sweet corn kernels, onions, and such) to accompany the dish. Dhanu was playing with his favourite Lego game on the Internet, Lindri was just done watching Wallace & Gromit on DVD. Dinner was ready on time, then, while waiting for the kids’ bedtime, I browsed the Internet to find out how my comrades in Indonesia were doing. I dropped a line in their pages before continuing with household works (dishes and stuff).

20:00
Bedtime for our kids. I brought Lindri to her rituals: brushing teeth, then reading her a story (she wants me to read Nelson nowadays; she finds it really funny) before turning the light off and leaving her alone. However, she seemed restless that night (our guess: it's her teething period again). She didn’t go to sleep rightaway but letting out occassional weeping.

20:30
I continued drawing in the front room, while Syb went to console Lindri once in a while.
I was planning to come back to Lambiek but I didn’t have the heart to leave the already-tired Syb minding the cranky-Lindri by himself; not to mention the coughing-Dhanu, too. So I stayed at home while drawing and scanning and uploading my drawings (I managed to make page 12 to 21). Syb of course couldn’t sleep with the noises I made, so he moved to the back room to accompany Lindri. I worked until about 04:00 (page 21 was marked 03:42), then went to bed.

04:00 – 07:00
Sleep.

08:00
Sunday Oct 8th. As usual, the kids were awake early (around 07:00 already). I woke up and prepared breakfast for everyone before continuing my drawings. I drew and scanned and uploaded again until I was ready with my whole 24 pages. In between, I opened up my chatting line and also checked updates from the 24 Hour Comics Day center. Finally, I’m done! The last page was marked 09:56. After uploading the last page, I got ready to go to Lambiek for the finale..

10:30
I arrived at about 10:30, some artists were still drawing, some went home already. I thanked Nick for his assistance in scanning and uploading the first half of my comics, then picked up my originals (page 11 has liquid stains on it!). I found out that a couple of television people were documenting the event last night and continued in the morning. I was also told that someone made drawings of all participants to be published at Cutie. He waited for me but I didn’t come back that night, so he had to proceed and left as soon as he’s done. Ah well, by now I realize I can’t get everything I want.

11:00
Everyone should stop drawing! We all made it! I hung around for awhile at Lambiek for breakfast: (hard balls of bread filled with either mozarella-tomat-pesto or creamy tuna salad, pretzels, olives, salami, ham, cheese, fruit shakes, juice, coffee – and also accompanied by champagne!) while browsing the pages of the participating artists. The television people made recordings of the results, spreading them on the table. I overheard that they will broadcast this 24 Hour Comics Day documentation this Thursday (Oct 12th). I’m looking forward to watching the program – not because I’m going to see me or my works being broadcasted (because there isn’t any) – but to see the atmosphere during the event, for I couldn’t observe it myself during the marathon.

11:45
I went back home and caught up with sleep in the afternoon (a bit too long that it caused a mild case of headache). Well, I guess I’ve had enough distraction from my work. But I’m glad I participated, not only because it’s fun, but I could finally free my mind from the thoughts about my transitions during my life in The Netherlands. I was, in short, relieved.

The photo was taken from Lambiek website.
I'm at the far back in checked (red & black) shirt.

Links:
At 24 Hour Comics Day central blog:
A Note from Jakarta http://www.24hourcomics.com/blog/?p=418
Closing Report from Jakarta http://www.24hourcomics.com/blog/?p=481
Report on Bandung Site, INDONESIA http://www.24hourcomics.com/blog/?p=493
Flash news from Surabaya Site, INDONESIA http://www.24hourcomics.com/blog/?p=494

Jakarta 24 Hour Comics Day http://komik24jam.multiply.com/
Surabaya 24 Hour Comics Day http://harikomik24jam.multiply.com/
Photos from Bandung http://martabakomikita.multiply.com/photos/album/22
My 24 Hour Comics results and photos http://esduren.multiply.com/photos/album/45

A post at Komik Alternatif mailing list (from Suryo) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/komik_alternatif/message/3131
An article in Kompas (Friday 13 Oct)
http://kompas.com/kompas-cetak/0610/13/muda/3021818.htm

In The Netherlands:
At 24 Hour Comics Day central blog:
Lambiek reports in http://www.24hourcomics.com/blog/?p=411
Amsterdam is Half-Way http://www.24hourcomics.com/blog/?p=436

24 Hour Comics site at Lambiek http://lambiek.net/24hourcomics/
At Het Nederlands Stripsmuseum Groningen http://24ucomicgroningen.blogspot.com/












25 comments:

  1. waaaaah selamet jeng!!! At least you finished it all!! eh, Lambiek tu kota apa nama tempat? Ada Sidonia ato Suske ato Wiskenya gak? hihihihihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huhuuy thanks Lex! Lambiek itu nama toko khusus komik dan pernik2nya di Amsterdam. Namanya emang ngambil dari seri Suske & Wiske itu :D More about Lambiek: http://komik.multiply.com/journal/item/6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Titaaaaaaaaa...mana janjimu padakuuuuuu..:-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sepertinya capek sekali .... tapi Ibu Tita emang jagoan abis!! Congrats ya Mba, udah terlaksana :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gileeee...... 24 jam euy! Keren banget, Ta! Salut, salut!! .... dengan ini daku kamih nobatkan sebagai Lady Komik se-MP!!!
    -- jadi pingin ke Lambiek, pingin liat2 para komikus in action --

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lambiek tu basa jawanya bibir..ya ta
    tita.. ah kamu emang superwoman.. tapi kali ini tanpa lasso.. superwoman ini pake pinsil dan pengumumaaan: "typex ngga boleh dipinjem" .. :D :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seruuuuu !
    Ini pada nggambarnya di ruangan yang sebelah kanan ya ? Yang ada figurine Hobbes yang segede Luna itu ? (yang pengen aku bawa pulang kalo nggak mikir overweight)
    Selamat ya sepupu..hebat hebat *icon keplok2 tangan*

    ReplyDelete
  8. terima kasiiih.. lebih ngantuk daripada capek sih, sambil berandai2 kayaknya enak juga punya clone: yg satu asik-asik ngomik, satu lagi ngurus rumah :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. waaah lady day knighting me! trimakasih mer, hayuk ka lambiek deui!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ..atau suara yg dikeluarkan wedhus.

    ipih kangenku, lasso tetap perlu utk men-CTARRR orang yg gak balikin typex..
    (btw gue nggapake pensil dan setip2, langsung pake gelpen tapi nggak pake typex, genah kertasku off-white, nanti malah cepret2 putih gara2 typex, jadi kotor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. iya ini di ruang bawah, yg aslinya galeri (itu di tengah tumpukan album2 yg karya2 komikusnya sedang dipamerkan). hobbes-nya sekarang kepalanya sedang ditudungin kantong kertas yg digambar muka lain (ini kelakuan komikus yg sedang pameran itu).

    terima kasih sepupuu.. terutama atas suplai gelpen-nya, dalam 24 jam itu aku abis 5 refill!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wahhh gilaa .. tanpa sketsa awal duluuu .... canggihhh taaaa ...
    seru banget keliatannya ...
    gua jadi inget masa-masa studio kuliah dahulu kala ... tapi bedanya kita mencutter dan mengelem dan menggaris .. apa cobaa .. hehehehe ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. gue gak ada waktu lg utk bikin sketsa dulu :(

    ini beneran mirip jaman kuliah kok el, begadang2 sambil berusaha kerja.. dulu kalo begadangnya bikin model, bukan cuma cutter penggaris ama lem, tp juga dempul, bor, amplas dan temen2nya.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hebat! Ngomik 24 jam pun masih sempet cuci piring :D :D :D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ven.. dan cek email?? *opening chatting line??* :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ven, nTul, di saat kepepet deadline, yg dicari pasti pengalihan perhatian =)) =)) thanks to you all, semuanya kesampean :*

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOow ternyata... udah baca ta!! kereeeen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yup.. makanya harap maklum kalo gue sering ngendon sini.. hahaha.. apalagi di tokonya skg ini mereka punya FatBoy guede2.. bikin makin betah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. elisa kuliah di studio jahit mana :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. begadang yuk begadang bikin komik
    waaah pengen ikutaaan

    ReplyDelete