Wednesday, March 8, 2006

A Jumble of Distraction



These recent couple of weeks are (supposedly) very hectic for me. I've
got one important deadline (my dissertation manuscript!) and, shortly
after, another deadline (materials for Barcelona!). But somehow I
managed to make myself more busy with other things..



First of all, it's not easy to concentrate when your head is filled
with many upsetting news (the Raju case, the RUU AP/P conflicts, and
such). Secondly, it's very easy to get distracted by lighter activities
(which I easily agreed upon), such as helping Dhanu's class preparing
their "Pirate" theme for this month. I ended up making cardboard short
swords and binoculars, painted and decorated them with crépe paper and
(self-made) pirate stickers. I drew a seriously challenging treasure
map. I made a ship's steer wheel out of a real car steer wheel, added
with cardboard pieces and more crépe papers. And today, I volunteered
to paint a scenery of a pirate ship, heading to a volcanic island
(where a treasure chest is kept), next to a skull-shaped rock - on a
2x2 sqm cloth.



On Saturday evening, I plan to go to a Strips in Stereo
event at Paradiso, and the Sunday afterwards, we'll go to a birthday
party (a colleague of my husband) in Vijzelstraat. I'm just glad that
the venues are nearby our place.



I might have missed the board meeting of Stichting ZieZo
(where I am a
member) last Monday, but I voted for The Netherlands and Amsterdam
councils (for the first time, as an immigrant!) last Tuesday. I
rarely go to the chatting line anymore (miss you, people!), at least
until I come back from Barcelona, next week.

I should be reading books that are relevant to my research, but I oftenly picked up my new The Hitchhikers' Guide to The Galaxy or the new MAD magazine (that keeps coming, despite the fact that my subscription should already be expired about half a year ago).



Well, I should really get on with my work now. But before that, I think I'll take up the challenge from my friend www5 about revealing my little secrets (see? It's too easy to tempt me nowadays! Haha!)



Image: "Distraction", John Leech Sketch from 1847. Source: John Leech Archive, UK.





14 comments:

  1. BARCELONA? Jgn lupa makan tapas ya..... Di tunggu kembali di line chatting:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW...pergilah Mbak...Demi Tuhan...peluncuran komik dan konser..kereeeen..

    btw, Dhanu jadi apa di class play nya?

    humm..aku juga suka begini..kenapa ya? Apa karena wanita cenderung dapat mengerjakan beberapa hal dalam 1 waktu? (multi-tasking)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gutlak untuk barcelona hihihi... aku ada cerita2 lho... tapi nanti kalo abm online sajaaa hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nggak jadi apa2 Ber, cuma emang kelas2 di sekolahnya tiap bulan ganti tema. Jadi kelasnya dihias sesuai dengan tema itu. Sebelum "pirate" ini, tema kelas Dhanu adalah "North Pole", jadi kita minjemin tenda kubah (kecil), yg diselimutin seprei putih (ceritanya "igloo"), terus ditaruh di pojokan kelas. Seru deh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalau di kasusku sih, jelas2 cari pengalihan utk 'refreshing' otak. Kalo mikir hal yg sama terus2an, seringnya malah macet. Kalo disambi yg lain, kadang2 malah bisa dapat ilham (saat otak lebih santai).

    Multi-tasking ku biasanya kalo ngerjain pekerjaan RT: masak sambil nunggu laundry sambil chatting! =)) It's all time management, I think..

    ReplyDelete
  6. haa? ayo ceritaa! di e-mail saja! *huh bikin penasaran*

    ReplyDelete
  7. lebih enak dikatakan langsung, supaya reaksinya kelihataaan.... hihihi.... selamat penasaran... hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the mantra I keep repeating to myself: first things first. doesn't work all the time, but at least it helps keep my priorities straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. bukannya semakin sibuk malah semakin produktif? hidup distraction!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. bang anto: bener ya, yg penting nge-set prioritas daannn.. disiplin! heheheh

    mer: hiduuuup! (gimana sih rasanya dulu menjelang finishing naskah disertasi? panas dingin juga gak waktu itu? :D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehehe..aku makin produktif buat : mendesain hal2 yang nggak ada hubungannya sama project,nulis blog dan review

    ReplyDelete
  12. panas sih engga... dingin soalnya masih spring waktu itu.. hehe.
    yg pasti sih perasaan ngga pararuguh....bagaikan kerakap diatas bakwan....

    ReplyDelete
  13. huahuahauhahuhaaa
    (bukannya jadi senewen, malah jadi laper)

    ReplyDelete