Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Thirty Three Today





Getting up this morning, I brought Lindri (who was already up at around 06:30 as usual) downstairs, to the study. It's always chilly here at my mother in law's house, especially in winter mornings. The day before, snow fell softly and lightly covered the ground; today, only some spots looked white. I opened the internet connection on moeder's PowerBook and went to my mails, with Lindri eating a banana next to me (while fiddling with anything within her reach). Ooh there's a lot of birthday wishes and prayers, from family and friends! Thank you all!

Dhanu came into the study not long after he heard us going downstairs. He gave me some drawings: one from Lindri, and another from himself, picturing a table with a present, wrapped with bows, on it. And a home made card, from my husband's sister and her family (who stayed here as well until yesterday). During breakfast, I got my other presents: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory DVD from Lindri (I haven't seen that one), Akira DVD from Dhanu (adding to our animation DVD collection), and two sets (Seasons 1 & Season 2) of Frasier DVD and a set of pasta plate (including olives, pesto and pasta) from moeder. A present from Sybrand is a couple of concert tickets: we're going to see Sparks in Paradiso Amsterdam, in February! Yaaay! A bit later after breakfast, we had our birthday cake: a chocolate cake, which Lindri likes so much she finished two servings in a go. Dhanu was a bit reluctant to eat it at first, saying that he'll eat his portion "next week", but then grabbed and ate it by hand a moment later.

My birthday has never been a big thing, because it comes between big celebrations: Christmas and New Year. I have never been at school (it's holiday season) so I've never felt the birthday fuss at school. And when we were much younger, this month was when we used to travel to Central Java, to stay at my grandparents' house in Salatiga. There was where I used to celebrate my birthday, usually altogether with a family Christmas event and such. I really do not mind this, since I prefer not to be the center of attention - therefore, especially in the later years, I'd rather use this day to reflect at my passing life and to think about the coming years.

My first thought usually went to my parents, who have delivered me into the world (my mother: "You practically jumped out of my womb - I haven't even properly laid myself down on the maternity bed!"), provided for me and brought me up. Their most valuable gift to me? Their trust and confidence in me, which have led me to where I am now. Then some childhood birthday parties (not necessarily mine) at home, inviting neighbourhood kids and preparing our own kiddie games and making goodie bags (out of manila cartons and colourful crepe papers), and a compulsory home entertainment: cartoons! (my father has an old projector movie player) Then there was my birthday celebration at an orphanage in Salatiga, some birthdays on which I was to wear pretty dresses (with pouting mouth, as shown in our family photo albums). I've noticed myself growing, including habbits that I stopped and attitudes that I keep.
I then thought about my achievements: having my own family, my endless school/research works, and my oh-so-fun, distracting hobby (comics! drawings!). What I would change, what I would improve, what I would leave behind (my extra weight, for instance).

"What do you want for your birthday?" is probably one of the most difficult questions in life, since I still don't know how to answer it, eventhough this predictable question comes every year. OK, when I was 9, going to 10, I asked my father to buy me a bike and I promised never to ask for any birthday present ever again in my life. He bought me that black 'sepeda mini', which I rode to school until my junior high years (until I turned 14 - then I had to ride a bus to go to my senior high school). That was really my last birthday wish, and perhaps up to today I'm still keeping my promise to not ask for anything ever again.
So, everytime that question pops out, I usually reply with, "Thank you, I've had everything", or "World peace", or "A magic wand that can help me finish my dissertation", or "A super power", or something within those lines..

After pondering for a while, I think I've been leading a pleasant life. Moreover, because I am blessed with loving family and friends. What have I done with my life, and what will I make of it? However it is, I am happy where I am. I might not have big ambitions, but I have plans and goals for me and my family in the near future, and I hope to achieve them in due time.


Comicstrip: by Flo. which more or less expressing what I'm about to do if the snow keeps falling..


39 comments:

  1. Met ultah ya taaaaaaaa

    "super power"? nanti jadi elastigirl spt di the incredibles gitu dong :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're 33? Boy, I feel so old.
    Anyway, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy b-day and belated christmas! I wish i could wrap up a magic wand for you (after you're done please return back to me so i can use it too..haha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Tita aka Esduren!!!
    Wish you the blessed forthcoming year! And more birthdays to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PANJANG UMURNYA PANJANG UMURNYAAAAA, Met Jahrig Titaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. kucing's truism:

    "women blossom when they are thirty-four,
    and that takes six full years.
    after that, life just starts"

    happy waiting-to-blossom.... what a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. selamat ulang tahun bu tita....ditunggu kiriman coklatnya he he he

    ReplyDelete
  8. met duren tahun..
    semoga seluruh terkabul semua jus alpuketmu, seluruh kapau sehat slalu..

    *garink mode on*
    semoga selalu berlimpah berkatnya yaa...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wah ada yg ulang tahunnnnnnnnnnnnn

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY mba tita tayang...sdh makin tue yah :)...cium kangen buat dhani and lindri

    tia and agam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonne Anniversaire ma petite Tita! Ternyata ultahmu gak jauh dari Alicia yah, dan bintang kita bertiga sama lagi, makanya kenapa selama ini cuocok beneur! :)

    Gros bisous de Provence,

    Alicia, Yulis and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mama Dhanu dan Lindri, ...Happy Birthday and Happy Christmas too..sepeda nya itu yang dinaikkin di head photo nya es duren kah?masih ada yaaa tu sepeda?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gimana kalo gua wish for you an SBD power to whittle away the extra weight. :p. Met ultah lagiiii

    ReplyDelete
  13. kalo itu ade juga maooooo doong...musti 33 dulu ngga? apa musti ulang taun dulu??...ngga kan...kan natal juga seasons of giving kaaaannn...(maxa bgt)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday and Happy New Year. May you achieve all your plans and goals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jurnalmu selalu menarik, Tita.

    Ada temenku yg kebiasaan menghilang di hari ultahnya, demi menghindari kikuk diselametin banyak orang, katanya ;)



    ReplyDelete
  16. (Tiup lilinnya udah kan? Tinggal tepuk tangannya?) Plok-plok-plok..! Titaa..! Selamat ulang tahun yaak..!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, everyone! :)
    Jo - Tau nggak, gue sempet lho kepikiran jadi (semacam) Elastigirl, di akhir 2003 (waktu Lindri baru lahir). Sampe gue gambar nih
    P'Budi - Haha.. and I thought I am old :)
    Tika - Good idea! Although hand-me-down wands tend to have a malfunction, I heard :P
    Mer - Thanks, also for the drawing (love it!)
    Bay, Rie - Makasiiih ^_^
    Kucing - Looking forward to reading other truism of yours!
    Aso - Dalam bentuk apa So? Sprinkles atau balok? :D
    Herb - Terima bapang atas rantangannya yaa
    Tia & Agam - Makasih ya.. ditunggu kabar baiknya :)
    Pet - Ayo lapor, kamu sama Yulis tanggal berapa? (Yg pasti cocok: selera makan! hueheheh)
    Ade - Yg digambar itu sepeda jengki, lah, yg aku pake terus di sini. Kalo sepeda mini item itu udah nggatau ke mana :P
    Ita, Mas Anto, Ida - Makasih ya
    Ven - Please make it SBD with flavors.. *sambil umpetin dari si Del biar gak diminta*
    Nefnef - Justru yg belom itu tiup lilinnya! Sini sini kumpulin kuenya dulu.. hureee..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Errrck? no wonder si Incredibles istrinya Elastigirl, rupanya itu fungsinya huahahahahhahahahaha. Paling suka yg multiply urself: pasti selalu segar :)) :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tita, Happy B'day ya... biarpun terlambat. May God bless you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hehehe .. moga2 ide segarmu tetep tertuang dalam setiap gambar yg kamu bikin ya ta .. met ultah, sekali lagi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautifully written Tita! I liked to read the memories you have of your childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mbakyuuuuu >:D<
    Selamat ulang tahuuuuun...semoga panjang umur dan selalu dalam lindungan Tuhan YME...
    Biar kamu nggak di sini, kita tetep makan2 kok :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Iyaaa aku udah liat foto2nyaaaa.. hahahahaha..
    Makasih ya Mbakyuuu

    Acel, makasih yaa :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, Kekou :)
    Wish you & family a nice welcoming of 2006! (We are staying home tonight, watching the fireworks from our balcony while, probably, munching some oliebolen)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mbak'eeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... happy belated bday yah...... maaf terlambat.. hehehhe.. anyway, I wish you very luck and success.... love you, miss you, hug you.....muah muah

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wah Buleeeeeek.. sama2, happy belated birthday juga! Kangen nih! *peluk sampe sesek*

    ReplyDelete
  27. Taaaaa........... tenik lagi buka hari ini, habis cuti...... Met ultah ya.... TUHAN memberkati dan menjaga seluruh keluargamu ditahun-tahun mendatang. Cium jauh dan kangen .... muah-muah-muah

    ReplyDelete
  28. kucing told me another of her truism (may you be inspired by it, too):

    "women should have curves where they should have curves"

    *viva curvy women*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Di TJP ada kolom "by the way" biasanya di edisi Sunday. Isinya model jurnal pribadi yang bisa menarik dibagi ke pembaca.
    Ngga kepikiran dikirim ke JP Ta, jurnal2mu? menarik lho....

    ReplyDelete
  30. wah ada ya? baca2 yg di TJP dulu ah (bisa diakses online kan ya?)..
    kalo udah pede, nanti kukirim.. sekalian ngelatih bahasa inggrisku. makasih yaa :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy happy belated birthday!!!
    Hope you had a blessed and fantabulous one.
    Thanks for all your assistance and getting acquainted with you during this short time reinforces my faith in the help of strangers.
    Tita two :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday lagi, Tita dear! .. mau kasih tambahan ucapan nih...
    May your forthcoming year full of sparkles of joy and happiness...
    Waiting for more comic journals to born... and....a published comic book on your 34th?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Duh maapin gw ya Titaaa... kesian deh gw, baru aja baca blog Tita yang ini (**huuh, ke mana aja elo, Siiiinn??!!!)

    Jadii.. happy belateeeeeeeeddddd birthday ya Titaa... ***Doooh, bayangin, norak banget kan ngomongnya Maret!! (kayak tukang pos Indonesia yang sering kasi barang telat, dikirimnya mah kapan, tapi baru diterima di Jakarta bisa 2-3 bulan setelahnya... ups, ga nyambung ya?!)

    Setuju ama ide untuk keluarin buku kartun pada ultah berikutanya :D :D

    ReplyDelete