Thursday, April 14, 2005

Train ride today: Amsterdam - Delft



As usual, every Thursday I commute to Delft, and so I did this morning. The crisp warm and sunny spring time weather was here, indeed, but only in the first couple of days. Recently, it's more rainy and windy - cold and wet. Not my favorite kind of weather.


After saying bye to Dhanu in his classroom, I hurried to the tram stop - always in doubt which one comes first, number 4 or 25 (both go to Amsterdam CS), as their stops are parted by a big intersection. I could see number 4 approaching but I would still have to cross the street twice.. better cross to where number 25 stop is, so I did. Never, (my principle is) never ever run for any public transport. Arriving at the station, put my ticket in the dating machine, bought spinach-ham and choco-nuts pastries, went up to platform 1, bought a small cup of cappucino from a Kiosk nearest to the train (a guy from Bandung attends this one), then occupied my usual seat in the train (last coach, last bench - it's the nearest to the Delft Station's exit).


I finished my breakfast well before the train departed (09:10) and started to read a book ("The Second Penguin Book of English Short Stories") but I was so sleepy. First stop, Amsterdam Sloterdijk. Then Haarlem. Here, I always look out for people I know who might get on the train.. it would be fun to meet them coincidentally in the train. But it never happens. Oh well. Then it's Heemstede-Aardenhout (Heemstede and Aardenhout are neighboring two small towns, so they share one train station) and Leiden Centraal where a big bulk of people (mostly students) went in and out the train. Oh - approaching and leaving Leiden Centraal is always refreshing nowadays, because when you look out of the window, you can see beds of flowers coloring the landscape. Here a block of blood red, there stripes of purple - white - yellow, accross a bed of blue.. So pretty! Even for me, who usually don't care much for flowers. Last stop before my destination is Den Haag HS, more students going in before the next stop: Delft.


When I got off the train, walking towards the bycicle shed, I saw some TU Delft students at the pick-up spot, two were wearing lime-green outdoor vest and one dressed up as a cheerleader(?) and the rest appeared rather official. They brought boards saying "TU Delft". I wonder what was going on. I took my bike and started peddaling to school.. wet and windy, still.. Approaching the Aula, I could see banners and balloons and could hear loud music being turned on from inside the Aula. This must be an Open Day, then. Each faculty is greeting their guests as cheerful as possible. Passing by the Maritime Faculty I had to slow down a bit to let a 'boat-cycle' drove back into its parking space. This 'boat-cylce' is a 'bike' that seats 8 people of whom two have to paddle; it's covered with boards that are cut and painted to look like a boat. Ha ha. I paddled on and heard a "Hi!" from a rider going the opposite way. I couldn't recognize him at first (because of the flap-hat he wore), but then I found out that it's Dian! The long-lost boy! Well, actually the ones that are 'long-lost' are my address and numbers at Dian's mobile phone. Therefore he couldn't get in touch with me at all. So, after having a nice chat with Dian (now don't lose my contact address again, you hear?!) I went on.. crossing the intersection at the side of the gas stop, turning right to park my bike at the usual place. Which is a bit unusual today because of the blue carpet that leads visitors to the entrance of the Civil Engineering building.


Now I'll try to go back to work again, still sneezing and coughing like everybody else. Oh, a bit of news on the side: Andrea gave me a cheesecake mix from Germany (yaay!) and I gave the "Stupid White Men" book to Rinus and I haven't asked Alex again about my overdue Christmas gift (I really want that "McSweeney's Quarterly Concern nr. 13"!)


Good day!





12 comments:

  1. Titaaaaa:

    1. sama, males lari2 ngejar public transport. Toh gak sampe 10 menit ntar juga ada lagi. Life is not going to change much (Hopefully not :D)
    2. hahahaha, ini sama juga. Gue selalu kalo pergi kerja first coach, first seat karena tinggal turun, muterin ujung tram terus nyebrang (daripada jalan sepanjang body tram) dan pas pulang last coach, last bench dengan prinsip sama.

    hmm... kayaknya trait efficientnya (apa malas ya ? *mikir serius*) mirip2 nih. huahahahhahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh si ventong sehati rupanya, urusan naik kereta >:D<
    nggapapa *malas* soal beginian ven, kan orang malas harus cerdik utk bisa survive.. heheh..

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheesecake mix from germany? is it dr. oetker käsekuchen? yummmmmmm kalo ternyata doyan dan mau nitip bilang-bilang yauwww

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iyaaa si Jo tau aja! Dr. Oetker "Kaesekuchen Hilfe", di sini nggak ada, pantesan nggak pernah liat. Ini gara2 si Andrea suka cerita2 cheesecake buatan ibunya di Hannover, taunya pake Dr. Oetker juga.. hihihi. Makasih Jo, aku coba dulu weekend ini (smoga sempet).

    ReplyDelete
  5. di seluruh jerman nggak ada merek lain yang nandingin dalam hal "ready-to-bake" cake mixes spt dr. oetker

    ReplyDelete
  6. duh mbakkk pengen ke amsterdam...pengen lewat hamparan bunga bunga itu..hehhehee.. pengen ke mba tita jg dink..

    ReplyDelete
  7. mari sinilah ka! duh aku udah lama nggak nanggap nunung cabang delft nih! itu para lakon cabang arnhem juga diajak sekalian! :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. wah bener2 good day yaa..ketemu temen lama dan liat 'boad',liat bunga,dapet kue...kejadiannya dalem sehari ya...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wah bener2 good day yaa..ketemu temen lama dan dapet liat 'boad',liat bunga,dapet kue...kejadiannya dalem sehari ya...tapi:pergi makan,ketemu temen makan kue, rencana weekend masak,engga mo ngejar bis..wah kalo ini penyebab senam lo ya ..ternyata..hahahaha..well asal sehat dan hati hepi ya engga;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tita, aduh...... A'dam - Delft bij trein? Kamu bikin ingat saja waktu gila-gilaan pake Zomertour Kaartjes : Weert-Maastricht-Eindhoven-s'Hertogenbosch-Utrecht-A'dam-Delft-Den Haag-Scheveningen-Utrecht...

    Mooie landjes, prachtige zomer... (niet te vergeten, mooie meisjes ;)) :p )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iya Dev, mumpung lagi hidup tentram nih.. he he..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahah masak sih mooie meisjes? Turis hispanic dan asia ya maksudnya? :P
    Zomertour Kaartjes itu emang harus bener2 di-abuse biar kitanya nggak rugi!

    ReplyDelete